A successful retail operation must rely on stable eCommerce technology architecture that is scalable and secure.
The following questions have to be answered to select the right eCommerce platform architecture for your next upgrade:
- How large/complex is the product catalog
- How many categories, products, and/or stock-keeping units (SKUs) are in it?
- Can the catalog include different types of products with different attributes?
- Can a single product or subcategory exist in multiple categories?
Product and site search
- How sophisticated do you need the internal search functionality to help visitors find the right item?
- How many order transactions is the store expected to handle in an average day?
- How many daily visitors will come to the site to generate the desired order volume?
- How many page views per visit does each visitor make?
- During peak hours, how much traffic and page view volume will occur during peak hours?
- How many users will be visiting the site concurrently at peak times?
- What other in-store and online systems have to be connected in real time or with regular data exchange?
Eradium experts help you select the right ecommerce technology architecture. We take your current business processes into consideration, as well as your retail operational goals. We will provide you with the road map for future integration of in-store and online systems.
Site and Store Structure
At this step we outline the ecommerce site structure taking into consideraitons the following factors:.
- How many currencies and languages to be supported.
- Catalog complexity (number of categories and potential levels of hierarchy).
- What type of product information and non-product content to be presented on the site.
- Does the store need to support wholesalers and retail customers at the same time?
- How to deliver optimal shopping experience?
Steps for developing an optimal flexible architecture for eCommerce and omnichannel digital marketing
Store Catalog Structure and Onsite Search
At this stage we define product catalog structure that makes it easy for users to find the right products.
- A fashion retailer, an electronics merchant or a specialized baby store will need different structure for category/subcategory levels.
- Onsite search solution is the critical element of every e-commerce sites with major impact on conversion rate. The conversion optimization research reveals that conversion rates are 4 to 5 times higher for people who use onsite search.
- We plan on-site visitor navigation and search; as well as external search engines experience.
- Our ecommerce architect provides recommendations for the optimal onsite search logic, including indexing and delivery model to support catalog size and expected search volume.
Shopping Cart and Checkout
The third step is to select appropriate information architecture, data model and flow for shopping cart and checkout purchase stages.
- The shopping cart mechanism of adding, removing of adjusting quantifies for different type of products: simple, with options, bundles or configurable.
- Display of related products to provide cross –sell and upsell options
- Shopping cart level promotions including coupon codes and rules based promotions
- Checkout options: such as guest checkout, express checkout and customers with account.
- Shipping options and integration with shipping provider’s services
- Payment methods and gateway integration
- Gift card payments
External Systems Integration
We develop integration road map, architectural specifications and guiding principles.
- The ecommerce solution design should accommodate integration with external systems to deliver seamless shopping experiences across web, mobile, and social touch points.
- The integration mechanism could be real time through web services or non-real time with scheduled data exchange processes.
Hosting and Site Management Architecture
We work with our hosting partners to define hosting parameters including web application servers, content and database storage, page caching, auto scaling, security, and backup to match functional and visitors’ traffic requirements.
- Today online shoppers are expecting sub -second response time for above the fold screen content even during pick traffic periods.
- The ecommerce site hosting solution has to provide adequate computer power to support the site components: content management, catalog repository, on-site search and order transactions.
- Modern cloud based architecture delivers cost affective secure and scalable solutions for ecommerce sites.