7 Tips How to make your customers happy with the physical eCommerce packaging that arrives in your shopper’s hands. Studies show that an excellent package can increase your repeat orders, positive reviews and customer recommendations.
Why are the actual shipping packages are often forgotten?
Why are the actual shipping packages are often forgotten when it comes to marketing? When we have a physical store we have flyers, brochures, and posters inside the store, so why can we not use our shipping package as mini marketing tools?
Anything you buy online comes in some kind of packaging. Surprisingly there are so few merchants that practice cool packaging or include any marketing material in the shipment. However, creating a positive unboxing experience is one of the easiest ways to build a direct relationship with your customers and increase repeat sales. As online shopping volume is growing your marketing opportunities are also expanding.
Digital User Insights
There are currently 223 million people shopping online in North America, with 30 million new users expected to buy online by 2021. There will be a total of 254 million eCommerce users by 2021; this will represent 85% of the total population. (1)
The statistical data below illustrate how the quality of the shipping package may impact shopper experience and behavior. (2)
7 Tips How to make your customers happy with the physical packaging
Below we listed the 7 tips that helped e-commerce brands increase their repeat orders, positive reviews and customer recommendations.
1. Nice eCommerce packaging
- Do include a sticker that indicates right away who the shipment is from
- Do not reuse boxes
- This can be as fancy as just a new carton box with a custom sticker, so a customer recognizes right away the name of the package sender.
- If you are selling more expensive items you might want to invest in an entirely custom and branded box as customers in this market tend to be a lot more demanding.
2. Thank You Card
Do include a thank you card in the parcel for % off next purchase within a specific time frame
DO not just send a packing slip
- Just a simple personalized Thank you Card
- Include a discsount coupon for next purchase
- Include a flyer or a catalog of your feature items
- Do use a professional printer
- Do not do it at home
- Include a simple brochure or just a few feature items.
Medium High Budget
- Create a colorful catalog to showcase different categories from your store
4. Incentives card for Email Sign Up
- Do include a discount for email sign up
- Do not add two cards choose one repeat purchase or email sign up-if possible only send to people who have not signed up
Just printed cards showcasing benefits of subscribing without discounts
Include personalized email experience options and discount
5. Sample if possible
Do include something. Even if you are selling clothes, something like a small piece of a trendy color or material that the consumer can touch can go a long way.
Do not send something that is worth more than the purchase
Something small or a product sample
A small accessory to complement the purchased item
Do always have a flyer on returns procedure
Do not hide how to return items
Have a printed brochure with explicit instruction on return labels
Include printed labels already
7. An incentive for Sharing packaging via social medium: Instagram of Facebook
Do encourage users to share and tag your shipment
Do not use this option if your brand does not have a strong social presence
Simply re-posting their posts on your account
Include a discount offer for sharing
Your packaging and promotional elements inside your shipment can become one of your most powerful selling tools, and it does not have to cost a fortune. Nicely branded packaging and excellent marketing collateral materials can also be your viral marketing tool. Make your shipment a vital component of your marketing mix.
- An Overview of the North America eCommerce Opportunity – eShopWorld, https://www.eshopworld.com/blog-articles/north-america-insights/
- 2016 E-Commerce Packaging Preferences Survey, https://www.shorr.com/sites/default/files/whitepaper-ecommerce-packaging-preferences-survey-custom-shorr.pdf